Sunday, May 10, 2009

Design: The momentum


Click the image to go to the flickr gallery

I went to Designobserver.com yesterday and was reading a blog about some old designs and I found it really interesting. I found it inspiring in some ways and kind of funny in other ways. I thought of maybe opening my eyes to what the designers were thinking at the time, but then I think it wasn't about what they were thinking, it's about what the culture at the time were throwing at them. See, design is moved by the audience, the influence, the culture. It is not moving by itself, it moves along with time. Have you been paying attention at how design has been adapting to our time today? Take a look...


This looks very fun and "tom and jerry" like. Can you guess the year?


This is priceless. Coffee, but it looks like it's for wax. Why is that? I love the fact that negative shapes were used. O, The beauty of printmaking.


SKIPPY! This looks so creepy!!! Haha, the new design is definitely a more inviting one.


7up looks soooo pop culturish, Can you guess the year? This one looks awesome. I like this better.


Yuck. the font is so upsetting.


This was my favorite. Can you guess the year on this?


The colors are so sharp, there was no use of "blending" or layered things.


A lot of pattern/line work was used...


Hah, Looks better than their current design.


This one is very corny, Can you guess the year?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Doritos - 1962

Sanka Coffee - 1964

Skippy - I think it is creepy because the name "Skippy" looks like it was quickly painted with blood. Yeeks.

7-UP - Well, it's sugar-free, so it's probably sometime after 1965 since aspartame was invented that year. I'll go for... 1968.

Pepto Bismol - The colors and design actually make me nauseous. Go figure.

Happy Hair - I'll guess... 1970.

Witches Brew - Font reminds me of Scooby Doo... I'll go for 1971.

Jif - Ummm. 1979.

How did I do? :)

Francheska said...

you were pretty darn close, but you stuck with the 70's, believe it or not most of these are 40s-60s. lol they had a funky style back then. I wouldn't have guessed...but some of these have really good design principles, which is why I found this gallery amazing.

sanka coffee 1940's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadsidepictures/1227562642/in/set-939353/

you got 7up almost right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadsidepictures/196488081/in/set-939353/

jiffy is actually 1958
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadsidepictures/42898468/in/set-939353/

witches brew 1960's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadsidepictures/103329515/in/set-939353/

Post a Comment